Hello, my fellow DIY Marketing Mavericks!
As a marketing strategist passionate about helping small businesses succeed, I have some exciting insights to share with you today. It's all about the power of advertising – and how it can skyrocket your business, even on a modest budget.
Get a free copy of my step-by-step, easy-to-use, fill-in-the-blank ad strategy planner created just for small business owners.
Many small business owners I encounter are somewhat skeptical of ads. There's a common belief that ads are only for big companies with deep pockets. But what if I told you that's not the case? Yes, even for your vibrant, ambitious, and unstoppable small business, ads can be a game-changer.
Here's the truth: the beauty of advertising is that it's scalable. You don't need a fortune to make an impact. You can reach your target audience, engage them, and drive growth with as little as a few dollars a day. But how you ask? It's all about being strategic with your advertising.
The Power of Organic Success
Before diving into the mechanics of strategic advertising, let's discuss a fundamental principle: the power of organic success.
Why is this so important? Because posts that perform well organically are a goldmine. They're posts that resonate with your audience, capture attention, engage, and add value. And these posts, when leveraged as ads, can perform even better. They're tried and tested, they're approved by your audience, and they're your ticket to successful advertising.
Examples of posts that performed well organically and then strategically repurposed as ads
Example Ads #1, 2, and 3 (explanation below)
Example Ad #4 (explanation below)
Example Ads #5, 6, and 7 (explanation below)
- Ad #1 explained: The format for this piece of marketing content was a simple post. I created this ad for engagement. My goal was to get a clearer sense of how I can better serve my audience. It also allowed me to follow up with each comment to showcase my expertise and earn my prospect's trust. My audience was quick to respond to this post, so I converted it to an ad. I keep it pinned and round ads occasionally to keep getting a sense of how I can better serve my audience.
- Ad #2 explained: The format for this piece of marketing content was a carousel post. Recommending tools always perform well especially if they help my audience with selecting tools to support their goals. With so many tools to choose from, my audience wants to know what experts recommend for the layperson. My goal was to provide solutions to my audience and earn their trust as a go-to expert. The post helped me earn more followers organically, so I converted it to an ad. I also created a matching led magnet to grow my mailing list. For the lead magnet, I recommended a broader range of tools and categorized them by purpose.
- Ad #3 explained: The format for this piece of marketing content was a carousel post. Expert tips always perform well especially if they help my audience tackle obstacles. The post was also helpful because it was based on feedback from other experts and from other more experienced small business owners. My goal was to provide solutions to my audience and earn their trust as a go-to expert. The post helped me earn more followers organically, so I converted it to an ad.
- Ad #4 explained: This ad performed better than expected and showed results quickly. It brought in several followers who are my ideal prospects. Instagram Insights indicated that the post was saved numerous times, and it triggered several conversations in my DMs. I think this post could have performed even better if the information was broken into more slides (readability), so I'll be recreating and reusing this post. The comments and DMs gave me a lot of insight, so I repurposed the post as an ad.
- Ad #5 explained: This post was in what I like to refer to as my "love letter" format. I wrote a very targeted message to my audience. I wanted to ensure that I would immediately capture the right audience's attention. This type of post performs magnificently and delivers followers. I create similar posts when trying to boost my growth. My "love letter" approach is one of my most cost-effective posts, so, of course, I created low-cost ads around these.
- Ad #6 explained: This is much like ad #5. Once I discovered that this ad type was super-effective for growth, it became my go-to format. It speaks to the hearts of women entrepreneurs, who have been my primary target audience. It was organically a high performer, so it has been a recurring ad.
- Ad #7 explained: Again, much like ad #5, but I've since determined that I would prefer to attract those who have started on the entrepreneurial journey. This post performed well organically, and because it made sense at the time, it was converted to an ad.
Strategic Advertising: The Secret to Success
But what does being strategic mean? It's about moving from a broad-brush approach, a "post and hope" method, to a thoughtful, goal-oriented strategy. It's about delivering the right message, to the right people, at the right time. It's about making your voice heard in a noisy marketplace.
When you adopt a strategic approach to advertising, you're not just throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping it sticks. Instead, you're presenting a deliciously crafted dish to your audience. And let me tell you, a well-prepared plate of spaghetti is much more appealing than a mess on the wall!
Small Budget, Big Impact
So, how can you, as a small business owner, make a significant impact with a small budget? By understanding your audience, tailoring your message, and choosing the right medium.
With strategic advertising, every dollar you spend works harder for you. It's not about spending more; it's about spending smarter. It's about truly connecting with your audience and not just reaching them.
Ready to Unleash the Power of Ads?
Excited yet? You should be! There's a whole world of advertising potential waiting for you to tap into. And as we journey into this realm together, remember that I'm here to guide and support you.
To get started, download your free ad strategy planner for small business owners. It's designed to help you create a road map for your advertising journey, and it's packed with tips and insights to help you get the most from your ad spend.
So, are you ready to unleash the power of ads for your small business? Let's do this, Marketing Mavericks!
BONUS! You also get a complimentary editorial calendar.