As I viewed social media posts of the video recordings of people sitting in the audience of Taylor Swift's "The Eras Tour" this summer, I couldn't help but be captivated by her music and unparalleled branding and marketing prowess.
The lights, the music, the narrative - everything spelled out an essence uniquely Taylor. Now, as someone who enjoys both concerts and my work as a marketing strategist, I couldn't resist diving into what makes Taylor's brand so iconic and how we, as small business owners, can learn from it.
Is Taylor Swift your "Iconic Brand Matchup?" Take this quiz and find out. ➥
- Taylor's Take: One of Taylor Swift's most potent tools is her storytelling ability. Each album unfolds like chapters in a book, resonating with her fans' real-life experiences.
- Your Move: Every business has a story. It could be why you started, the problem you're trying to solve for your target audience or the journey of your product. Share it. Let your customers feel like they're part of your narrative.
- Taylor's Take: From country to pop to indie, Taylor's sound has evolved, but her essence remains. It keeps fans excited and engaged, anticipating her next move.
- Your Move: It's crucial to evolve without losing your business's core identity. Introduce new products, tweak your branding, or adopt new technologies. The idea is to keep things fresh.
- Taylor's Take: Taylor has a profound bond with her fans. From Tumblr interactions to surprise home visits, she makes them feel seen and heard.
- Your Move: Engage directly with your customers. Use social media, organize events, or even reply to their emails personally. It makes them feel valued and increases loyalty.
- Taylor's Take: Limited edition merchandise, surprise releases, exclusive events - Taylor's a pro at creating a Fear of Missing Out.
- Your Move: Introduce limited-time offers or exclusive products. Make your customers feel they're part of an elite club when they buy from you.
- Taylor's Take: Remember when she pulled her music from Spotify and returned when terms were better for artists? She listens to industry changes and her fans.
- Your Move: Regularly solicit feedback. Use it to refine your offerings. It improves your business and makes customers feel integral to your brand.
- Taylor's Take: Be it with Ed Sheeran, Brendon Urie, or Bon Iver, Taylor knows that collaborations can bring fresh perspectives and expand reach.
- Your Move: Collaborate with brands or individuals that align with your values. It's a win-win, offering mutual growth and introducing your business to a new audience.
Now that we've drawn inspiration from the Queen of Pop herself let's simplify it. Here's a checklist for applying these lessons to your business.
Swift-Inspired Branding Checklist
- [ ✅ ] Craft Your Story: Dig deep. What's your origin, mission, or vision? Turn that into a compelling narrative.
- [ ✅ ] Plan Evolution: List areas where your brand can evolve in the next year while retaining its core.
- [ ✅ ] Engage Directly: Set aside time each week for direct customer interactions.
- [ ✅ ] FOMO Strategies: Think of one exclusive offer or product to launch next quarter.
- [ ✅ ] Feedback System: Implement a system (surveys, feedback forms) to collect customer input regularly.
- [ ✅ ] Collaborative Avenues: Identify potential brands or influencers in your domain to collaborate with.
At the heart of Taylor Swift's brand magic lies authenticity, evolution, and connection. As we've seen, these aren't exclusive to pop stars. No matter how small, every brand can channel these elements to create a lasting bond with its audience.
It's your turn. Take that Taylor Swift-inspired leap, get the complete checklist (with details), and watch your brand sing its own success story! Or maybe your brand resembles another iconic figure. Take the "Iconic Brand Match Quiz" to find out!